Caerwent War Memorial, Caerwent, Monmouthshire.
The Caerwent War Memorial is an attractive monument, positioned prominently at the cross roads, directly in front of the Church of St Stephen and St Tathan, in the centre of the village.
It was dedicated by the Archdeacon of Monmouth, the Venerable Samuel Morris Davies, on 25th January 1948 to commemorate the eight local men of Caerwent who fell in the Second World War. The monument was later modified to include the names of another nineteen local men who died in the First World War.
The details of those listed on the war memorial have been heavily researched and can be found at the Caerwent War Memorial Book of Remembrance, part of the Caerwent Community website.
The form of the Caerwent War Memorial is an obelisk made from Portland stone and mounted on a square block. The top of the monument exhibits carved wreaths on each face of the obelisk, with an iron lantern as it’s finial. The memorial stands at the original site of the village cross and is enclosed by black, wrought iron railings.
On the face commemorating those who fell in the Second World War, the words are inscribed:
IN PROUD AND UNFADING MEMORY
OF THE MEN OF THIS PARISH
WHO DIED IN THE
SECOND WORLD WAR
1939 – 1945
THEY ARE IN PEACE FOR GOD PROVED THEM,
AND FOUND THEM WORTHY FOR HIMSELF.
On the two sides that list the names of the fallen during the First World War, only the dates of that war are inscribed at the top of those lists:
1914 – 1918
The north face of the monument is inscribed with these words:
THE PATH OF THE RIGHTEOUS IS AS
THE SHINING LIGHT.
Full resolution photographs of the Caerwent War Memorial are available to view on Flickr.