Cambrai Memorial, Louverval Military Cemetery
The Cambrai Memorial at Louverval Military Cemetery commemorates 7,038 British and 5 South African soldiers(1) who fell in the Battle of Cambrai and whose graves are unkown. Their names are inscribed according to their regiment on the monument’s semicircular peristyle, which surrounds a Stone of Remembrance.
The human cost of the battle of Cambrai was horrendous: 44,000 British soldiers and 50,000 German soldiers lost their lives in the 17 days of fighting between November and December 1917.
The memorial was designed by the architect Harold Chalton Bradshaw, and unveiled on 4 August 1930 by Lieutenant-General Sir Louis Ridley Vaughan. Inscribed on the monument and the Stone of Remembrance are the words:-
THESE ALL DIED IN FAITH – THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE
On each side of the monument are two bas-reliefs, the work of sculptor Charles Sargeant Jagger. Soldiers going over the top are depicted on the monument’s left. And on the right of the memorial, the evacuation of a wounded soldier from a trench portrays the violence of war.
The memorial stands on an elevated terrace inside Louverval Military Cemetery.
Steps to the left of the Cambrai Memorial lead to the lower cemetery ground, which contains a Cross of Sacrifice and the graves of 124 soldiers. Rows B and C contain some war time burials. The other graves were transferred here in 1927 from Louverval Chateau Cemetery.
Casualty details: British 118 | Australia 4 | New Zealand 2 | Total 124 soldiers
Most of the soldiers buried here lost their lives between 1917 and 1918.
- Visitor information plaques at the site
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission