Jumièges Mémorial de Guerre
The memorial to the war dead of Jumièges is located at the junction of Rue Guillaume le Conquérant and Rue Mainberte, outside the church of St. Valentin. It remembers the local combatant and civilian casualties from both world wars.
Surmounted on a tier of substantial plinths, the tall, decorative, rectangular monument is topped with a triangular piece of stone with the dates 1914 – 1918 carved in positive relief.
Beneath this, a life-size statue of a French first world war soldier stands under an ornate archway carved into the front face of the memorial. The soldier holds a flag and a branch of laurel leaves to his chest with his left hand and his upturned rifle with his right. As he looks skyward in an act of remembrance, a metal ribbon, attached to the cloth of the flag states:-
La Commune de JUMIÈGES a ses Enfants Morts pour la FRANCE.
And, carved into the stone work beneath the soldier, the following words tell everyone to remember:
Jumièges War Dead – Second World War
A plaque commemorating the local people who were killed in the second world war is attached to the largest plinth. It states:-
A NOS MORTS
(TO OUR DEAD)
1939 – 1945
The names of those who died fighting and who died as civilians are recorded in two separate columns:
MORTS AU CHAMP D’HONNEUR
(DIED IN THE FIELD OF HONOUR)
VICTIMES DE LA GUERRE
(VICTIMS OF THE WAR)
Jumièges War Dead – First World War
The names of the soldiers who were killed in the Great War are recorded on the right and left sides of the memorial and ordered by year of death.
Jumièges War Dead | 1914 – 1916
Jumièges War Dead | 1916 – 1918